The Panthers are in Denver today with a little chip on their shoulder as they face the Broncos in a Super-Bowl rematch on prime-time.
Here are five things to know today:
- How do the Panthers combat that stiff pass-rush that denied them a Super Bowl championship? It’ll be tough as the Broncos’ front seven is stout again – the unit is ranked first according to ProFootball Focus.
- Kelvin Benjamin missed last season with a torn ACL but is healthy now and should again be one of quarterback Cam Newton’s favorite targets.
- Newton has plenty of big-time receivers. There’s veteran tight end Greg Olsen, second-year wideout Devin Fuchess, speedster Ted Ginn Jr. and Philly Brown.
- Newton was expected to cement his place in history with a Super Bowl victory in February. He had a fantastic season but sputtered in the big game by going 18 of 41 for 265 yards with ZERO touchdowns, 1 interception and two lost fumbles. Oh, he was also sacked six times.
- Carolina has two rookies in its backfield: Second-round pick James Bradberry and third-round pick Daryl Worley. Both should see a lot of action.