Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell finally announced when he’s going to return to the team. Per his own Twitter account, he’ll return on Sept. 1.
When asked by another user when he’d come back, he simply responded with that date and a winking emoji. He later added: “You’re welcome.”
Bell’s holdout has been controversial, especially since he reportedly turned down some rather lucrative offers. He’s put his teammates and his coach in a tough position.
“I’m not comfortable,” coach Mike Tomlin said in an interview with Steelers insider Bob Labriola . “I think it would be naive to be comfortable. If somebody is not here working and developing in the formal ways that we subscribe, then there are potential consequences for that. Consequences for him individually. There are consequences for us collectively. So, no I’m not (comfortable).”
GM Kevin Colbert also weighed in earlier this offseason.
“My feeling is there’s nothing to be gained by a holdout,” Colbert said, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Ed Bouchette. “The situation won’t change, it can’t really change from our part on a long-term deal. So it hurts him not to be here. It hurts him because he’s not working with his teammates, he’s not getting the conditioning work that he’s going to need to have a great 2017 season. And he’s not working with his teammates to get acclimated to the offense — every year it’s different.”
It appears that Bell has finally realized that nothing is going to change, and now he’ll have to play the 2017 season on the franchise tag. This whole saga could simply start back up again next year, however.