It looks like Colin Kaepernick will remain with the San Francisco 49ers.
NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo is reporting that Kaepernick will likely make the roster as the 49ers No. 1 or No. 2 quarterback.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 2, 2016
There were some reports earlier in the week that it would be a shock if Kaepernick made the team. Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer said Kaepernick had regressed significantly as a player and lost some weight. He also had not been able to work out during the offseason due to an injury.
According to Pro Football Talk, head coach Chip Kelly told reporters after the 49ers third preseason game against the Green Bay Packers “There’s never been a conversation about cutting Colin Kaepernick.”
Garafolo mentioned that Kaepernick played well in a tough environment against the San Diego Chargers on Thursday night. That may be so, but very few starters played in that game.
The main reason Kaepernick won’t be cut is probably the $12 million dollars he is guaranteed this season. Regardless of how much the 49ers are in rebuilding mode, that is a cap hit they more than likely were not willing to take.
There has been a significant regression in Kaepernick’s game from his highest point during San Francisco’s Super Bowl season in 2013 when he threw for 21 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, and rushed for 524 yards along with 4 touchdowns.
Last season he started eight games and played in nine, throwing for 1615 yards, 6 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.
Many have thought that Kelly’s offense would benefit Kaepernick, but others have said he is struggling to learn it. With no decision made on who will start between him and Blaine Gabbert, we will have settle with knowing that the 2012-13 sensation likely will remain in the Bay Area for at least another season.