Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images
Seattle Seahawks All-Pro S Earl Thomas is pretty clearly disgruntled.

Earl Thomas sends ominous message to Seattle Seahawks about future

Ryan Wooden

Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas made his sixth Pro Bowl in eight seasons earlier this week, but despite the clearly value he provides his team on a weekly basis he sent an ominous message about his future to the organization on Wednesday.

Thomas watched how the Seahawks handled the contract of fellow safety Kam Chancellor closely during the offseason because he felt he could be handled similarly when he entered the final season of his deal. Now, several months later, he’s speaking out about what he saw.

Thomas was asked about what might happen if he enters the final year of his contract without serious discussions about an extension and made it clear that he’d be willing to play elsewhere.

“I know whoever gets me, I’m balling. That’s it. I know I’m hot,”

“I don’t know. Actions speak louder than words,” Thomas said.

“I don’t know.”

“It is what it is.”

He was also asked if he thought he had a home in Seattle going forward and gave an answer that inspires little confidence.

“I don’t know. Actions speak louder than words,” Thomas said. “I don’t know.”

During the same interview with Bell, Thomas also admitted that he and linebacker Bobby Wagner hadn’t had a conversation since Wagner attacked him on Twitter because of post-game comments where he insisted the Pro Bowl linebacker shouldn’t have tried to play through an injury. And he also insinuated that there were people on the Seahawks who were playing for stats and not to win games without naming names.

All told, Thomas has become rather clearly disgruntled in 2017 and it might be in the his best interests as well as the team’s best interests to part ways, even though he’s still very much at the top of his game as one of the best safeties in the NFL.